Thursday, June 7, 2007

starting anew

This blog is going to be...something. I have no particular direction for it. People can read it, I guess, but I'm not aiming towards making things easy to read or keeping it short. My thoughts, feelings, and, of course, pictures will be all over here, and it all starts...now.

I got a job this Tuesday working for Group Excellence. A tutoring company funded by the No Child Left Behind Act. I get a starting pay of $10/hr, and then after my first 10 hours it goes up to $11/hr or $15/hr, depending on whether I do the online study guide or not. It's supposed to be 10 hours long or something, so it deters people from going ahead and doing it, but for me? An extra 4 dollars on my wage is enough to 36 hours of extra work. We give free tutoring to underprivleged schools in the DISD, but we do get profit (duh).

My family and I are heading out to Atlanta, Georgia in about a week for my aunt Ferhana's wedding, so I'm excited about that and mom said I could drive the van for an hour. Interstate: here comes ziggy!

I didn't do so hot this past semester, but it's given me a real wake up call and I do not plan to fail after this, FOR SURE! I will do my utmost to succeed and no one but God can stand in my way. I really hoep that I'll be able to do the Maymester in France, though. That would be amazing. If I could get the scholarship to go all I'd have standing in my way would be my mother and maybe my father. I will never get an oppurtunity like this again, so I will try my best.

I get to start Arabic this coming fall semester! I'm so excited, because now maybe I won't have to rely on translated versions of the Qu'ran in order to be able to read and understand it. I hope to do something in the Middle East as well so that the Arabic that I learn won't be too formal. I like slang and maybe watching Arab soap operas will get me learning it all.

Hmmm, other than that I've got nothing. Till the next post.

No comments: